Monday, July 12, 2010

weighing in

Tonight I loaded my bike with everything for the trip including my laptop which I'm now very seriously considering taking. The laptop with charger weighs 6.7 pounds. Fully dressed with biking shoes, helmet etc, I weigh 142. The gross weight of the bike with me on it is 188. That means the bike and all baggage is 46 pounds. One way to look at it is that my laptop is almost 15% of my total bike and luggage. On the other hand, it's only 3.5% of the gross weight and more importantly, the bike seems to handle just fine. So I think it will go along. The disadvantage is that I will be more tied to work but I almost have to be the first 2 days anyway while my cohort is also on vacation. The big advantage will be much more convenient access to email, this blog and my brother will be able to download the daily routes to his GPS as we go along. (He could only load 3 of the 7 days on his GPS at once.)

2 comments:

  1. Dad, you're such a geek. I love it.

    Of course, you missed the other big bonus of having your laptop along. That it is: it will allow you to create a spreadsheet to keep track of your weight, luggage weight and bike weight over time. I bet you could make some beautiful graphs with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Tim's comment, although I have to say I think it is better to "weigh" every option when you are planning on carrying the object on your body for a week or so. For example the mini-tripod I lugged with me last week for 51 miles of paddling only to use it once!

    ReplyDelete